THE ART OF CUPPING
Cupping is a method of systematically evaluating the aroma and taste of coffee beans. It is used by roasters to assess the quality of a particular coffee sample.
Proper cupping requires the adherence to an exacting set of brewing standard, and a formal step by step evaluation process.
A trained cupper generally looks at six characteristics:
1. Fragrance: The smell of beans after grinding.
2. Aroma: The smell of ground up beans. The vapours released by the coffee in the mouth.
3. Taste: The flavour of the coffee
4. After Taste: The vapours and flavours that remain after swallowing.
5. Body: The feel of the coffee in the mouth.